The American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland / ACLU Foundation of Maryland seeks a talented Multi-Media Communications Strategist who works closely with the organization’s legal, engagement, and policy staff to affect change throughout Maryland through development and execution of coordinated multi-media communications plans and projects.
IN THIS POST:
- About the Position
- Essential Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities
- Management and Supervisory Responsibilities
- Position Qualifications
- Compensation & Benefits
- Deadline/Start Date
- How to Apply
- About the ACLU of Maryland
- Downloadable PDF of the Job Posting
This role develops and implements strategies to communicate with Marylanders, including developing campaign plans and turning goals and strategies into tactics, timelines, and metrics.
This is a full-time position. The position is based in Baltimore, Maryland, at the ACLU of Maryland Affiliate Office. This position is eligible for remote-work during the current Novella Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
The information provided below encompasses the essential functions and capabilities linked with this position:
- Support and assist with implementing a communications program that advances the organization’s strategic goals.
- Collaborate with communications and program staff to identify high-impact opportunities to increase the visibility of our advocacy, programmatic, and legislative work and to generate web traffic and social media audience engagement and growth strategically.
- Create impactful, rapid-response social media, digital advertising, and multi-media communications strategies and help design and implement full communications plans.
- Develop, create, and produce video and podcast content and social ads.
- Develop and manage digital ad spending strategies.
- Develop communication relationships with micro influencers and activists in Maryland to promote ACLU of Maryland work, issues and solutions.
- Maintain the social publishing calendar and schedule posts.
- Recruit and mentor multi-media interns to support video and audio content production.
- Respond to and engage social media followers.
- Develop reports for staff on ACLU of Maryland’s social media metrics and multi-media analytics.
- Research online communications tools, social media trends, and best practices.
- Assist with the creation of social media graphics as needed.
- Build capacity for and help implement communications trainings and assistance to ACLU staff, partners, and allies.
- Attend ACLU of Maryland outreach events for communications purposes.
- Provide multi-media support to coalition partners as needed.
- Participate on committees as deemed necessary for work-related tasks and in optional organizational commitments as desired.
This position is designated as a non-management position and does not encompass supervisory responsibility. The position may function as a team leader, monitor interns and volunteer work assignments as directed by their immediate supervisor for:
- Community volunteers
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Demonstrated personal commitment to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil rights and civil liberties issues and their implications through previous experiences.
Race Equity Commitment:
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity, dismantling white supremacy, and incorporating a structural power analysis into work. Must have knowledge and understanding of how power is manifested in matters of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstances.
Education & Work Experience:
(Relevant education/experience may substitute for required education/experience at a rate of one-year relevant education/experience per year of required education/experience.)
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
- A minimum of 3 to 7 years of experience in a similar position or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certification or License Requirements:
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of and commitment to civil liberties, civil rights, and the ACLU of Maryland’s mission.
- Related experience in managing social media and creating video and audio content.
- Recognize and define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions in the context of a variety of situations with multiple variables, both predictable and unpredictable.
- Excellent persuasive writing, editing, and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in online communications and advocacy.
- Ability to use professional judgment and practice patience.
- Make sound and timely informed decisions in complex situations.
- Demonstrate initiative, including pro-actively identifying and addressing issues and making recommendations.
- Creative, self-starting, willingness to learn; ability to handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities with deliberate time management skills; ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to give presentations and engage diverse audiences.
- Superb organizational skills; detail-oriented with strong follow through to complete assignments.
- Work independently with minimum direction while also working as part of a team and collaborating with others.
- Ability to keep organized and demonstrate flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced environment; to manage several projects simultaneously; and to adjust strategy to frequently changing demands.
- Maintain advanced working knowledge of office-related software, including Apple and Microsoft office products, Adobe Premiere Pro, and any industry-specific technology.
- Working knowledge of HTML and digital communications-related tools.
- Working knowledge of social media management programs, digital ad spending management tools, and software to support video and audio production.
Work Schedule & Travel Obligation:
- Ability to work occasional evenings, nights, weekends, and irregular hours and to travel within the state as needed.
- Ability to work long hours and evenings during certain key campaigns.
- Master’s Degree acceptable or equivalent post-Secondary credentials.
- Bilingual ability to interpret or translate in a language other than English, preferably Spanish.
- Database software and internet research skills.
THE TOTAL REWARDS
Salary is commensurate with experience ($70,000.00). Excellent benefits include three weeks paid vacation at time of hire (increasing to four weeks after four years); 13 paid office holidays; 12 paid sick days, telework and flex-time, generous medical insurance including two health, dental and vision insurance options for staff members, their dependents and spouse/domestic partner; flexible spending accounts; employee assistance plan; six weeks of paid medical leave, life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short-term disability and long-term disability insurance; and 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan with employer match, free on-site parking, additional commuter benefits with access to commuter rail station. Direct exposure to cutting-edge civil liberties and civil rights work. This is a position is in the bargaining unit represented by OPEIU Local 2 and is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The position will remain open until filled. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, three professional references, and a short (no longer than 5 pages) writing sample (your writing sample should include a link to a digital work sample) at this website: APPLY HERE. We discourage applicants from applying through third-party websites. Early applications are strongly encouraged. It will not be possible for us to respond to telephone or email inquiries. Resumes or applications sent via other avenues will not be considered.
The ACLU of Maryland is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture that promotes equity. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The ACLU of Maryland makes every effort to assure that its recruitment, selection, hiring and employment practices provide all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, with full opportunities for employment in all positions. The ACLU of Maryland is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please email human resources at HR@aclu.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU of Maryland is a non-partisan, non-profit racial justice, social and public interest organization that works in the courts, legislature, and in support of communities to affect structural change. We exist to empower Marylanders to exercise their rights so that the law values and uplifts their humanity. Our vision is a Maryland where people are united in affirming and exercising their rights in order to address inequities and fulfill the country’s unrealized promise of justice and freedom for all. We are committed to centering race equity in our work, internally and externally, in order to better support and be accountable to Black, Indigenous, and Communities of Color, whose civil rights and civil liberties are systematically threatened by white supremacy. ACLU-MD is an affiliate of the national ACLU.