Do you find yourself deeply concerned about civil rights abuses? • Are you passionate about the protection of the most marginalized members of our communities? • Do you recognize the value of our legal system even while seeing the necessity for systemic reform? • Are you known for your natural curiosity, ease with others, or strong sense of justice?
The Complaint Line Specialist (CLS) answers calls to our Civil Rights Complaint Line, takes detailed notes during calls in a database, asks questions over the phone, makes follow-up phone calls for more information, and provides administrative support. As a Complaint Line Specialist with the ACLU of Maryland, volunteers will be trained to distinguish legal violations that run afoul of the rights and liberties we fight to strengthen. The Complaint Line Specialist combines investigative skill, issue spotting, and person-to-person engagement to record narratives of rights violations, offer relevant referrals, and support Maryland residents in exercising their rights.
Complaint Line is open on Tuesdays and Thursday from 1-3pm. The Complaint Line Specialist must be available from 12:45 PM to 3:30 PM, preferably on both Tuesdays and Thursdays, for a minimum of three months.
- Firm commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
- A strong commitment to racial equity, dismantling white supremacy and incorporating a structural power analysis into work, with knowledge and understanding of how power is manifested in matters of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstances.
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office, and database software.
- Superb organizational skills and detail-oriented in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills; excellent phone manner and the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to type, think, and talk at the same time.
- Confidence to ask tough questions and the empathy to understand hardship.
Compensation and Benefits
This is an unpaid volunteer opportunity.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, and references by email to: Hiring Committee: Complaint Line Volunteer firstname.lastname@example.org
The ACLU of Maryland is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to involve all those who can contribute to our inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status. Persons with disabilities may request accommodations.