Hosted by Council President Brandon M. Scott and Councilmember Zeke Cohen
Baltimore has an opportunity to become a model 21st century school system through recommendations made by the Kirwan Commission. We will explore opportunities for Baltimore to increase funding to meet the responsibility of Kirwan and strategically identify how we can create a school system our children deserve.
In August, Council President Brandon M. Scott introduced a resolution demanding the Department of Finance present the City Council with a proactive plan to increase local funding for our public schools. We know Kirwan will require that the City invest more local dollars into our school system. We must ensure we are prepared to meet that responsibility. This is not an option.
This hearing will be an opportunity to hear from:
- BCPSS students from Baltimore Algebra Project, The Intersection and Somos Baltimore Latino.
- Dr. Sonja Santelises, CEO of BCPSS.
- Robert Cenname, Baltimore's Budget Director.
- Jess Gartner, CEO of Allovue.
- Representatives from the Baltimore Teachers Union and the BCPSS Parent and Community Advisory Board.
- Shamoyia Gardiner, Education Policy Director at Advocates for Children and Youth.
- Joe Francoviglia, Executive Director of Strong Schools Maryland.
- Kimberly Humphrey, Legislative Counsel for the ACLU of Maryland.
- Shantay McKinily, Director of the Positive Schools Center.
- and more!