The ACLU of Maryland's Election Protection campaign is a statewide effort to reduce barriers to voting and fight against voter disenfranchisement, particularly for voters who are Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. We do that by educating voters about their rights, advocating for equitable and accessible voting options, assisting residents with questions and concerns, and addressing issues through investigations and legal advocacy.
ELECTION PROTECTION HOTLINE
Hotline Number: (667) 219-2625
For the General election, the Election Protection Hotline will be open October 26 – November 8, 2022, for residents to call with questions or concerns about voting in Maryland. Our hotline staff can provide information about voter eligibility, voter registration, voting by mail, early voting, Election Day, drop boxes, and more. We resolve issues for individual voters and investigate possible violations of voting rights in Maryland.
Read our Elections Matter blog for the 2022 Maryland election season.
ON THIS PAGE
- Know Your Rights - Voting
- Black Voters Matter
- Your Election Checklist
- Key Dates for the General Election
- Report on the 2020 Maryland General Election
SHARE THIS VIDEO:
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE IF YOU ARE:
- 18 years old by the General Election (November 8, 2022).
- A Maryland resident.
- A U.S. citizen.
- Not currently incarcerated for a felony conviction.
YES, YOU CAN VOTE IF YOU ARE:
- In jail or prison pre-trial or serving a misdemeanor sentence.
- On parole or probation.
- A returning citizen (you've been in jail or prison before but are out now).
- In college (you can vote at your permanent address or where you live while attending school).
- In confined housing, such as a juvenile detention facility, mental health facility, or nursing home.
The Expand the Ballot, Expand the Vote coalition gears up for the local Maryland midterm elections by announcing their new voting rights initiative. Watch the highlights video below from the Black Voters Matter press conference on October 18, 2022.
- Register to vote! There are several ways to register to vote in Maryland: online, by mail, or in person. Find out more information here.
- Check to make sure your voter registration information is accurate! Use the Voter Lookup tool on the Maryland State Board of Elections website to make sure your information is current. Use the same tool to check where you can vote and which district you are in. Some people's districts have changed because of redistricting.
- Vote! There are several ways to vote in Maryland: by mail, in person during early voting, or in person on Election Day.
– Want to vote by mail? Request a mail-in ballot and then mail your ballot in or put it in a drop box before the deadline (key dates and deadlines are listed below).
– Want to vote in person? Vote early at an early voting center or on Election Day at your polling place.
– Need to find your polling place? Use the Voter Lookup tool on the Maryland State Board of Elections website.
– Need to find an early voting center? Early voting center locations will be updated as soon as that information is available.
When is the 2022 Gubernatorial General Election Day?
Tuesday, November 8, 2022!
What are the different deadlines for the General Election?
- The deadline to register to vote is Tuesday, October 18, 2022.
- BUT, you can also register to vote at early voting centers during early voting (October 27 - November 3) and at the polls on Election Day (November 8).
What is the deadline to request a mail-in ballot for the General Election?
The best way to request a mail-in ballot is using the online system, but you can also send in your mail-in ballot application by mail, fax, email, or in person. Registered voters will receive a mail-in ballot application by mail. You can also print the application from the website.
- If you want to receive your ballot by mail or by fax, the deadline is Tuesday, November 1.
- If you want to receive your ballot by email, the deadline is Friday, November 4, 2022.
- If you want to pick up your ballot in person, the deadline is election day, Tuesday, November 8, 2022. Please visit your local board of elections' website for hours of operation.
When is early voting for the 2022 General Election?
- Early voting will be held from Thursday, October 27, 2022 through Thursday, November 3, 2022 (including Saturday and Sunday).
- Early voting centers will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Early voting center locations will be updated on this website as soon as that information is available.
The Election Protection Team at the ACLU of Maryland worked to reduce barriers to voting and fight against voter disenfranchisement, particularly for voters who are Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. The Election Protection Report: Examining the 2020 Election documents both the ACLU of Maryland’s Election Protection work for the 2020 Primary and General Elections and details recommendations to improve voting infrastructure, increase accountability of the State and Local Boards of Elections, and improve accessibility of the ballot, including for Marylanders in jails and prisons.