The ACLU of Maryland provides legal services to remedy and prevent constitutional and civil liberties violations. We do this by filing lawsuits, educating the public, and seeking reforms through state statute, regulation, and policy.
We are unable to offer legal advice or attorneys in many cases. If you’re unsure whether we can help, contact us and we’ll help you figure it out.
OUR LOCAL FOCUS
If your issue or incident occurred outside Maryland, please look up the local ACLU affiliate where your incident occurred for legal help.
We take cases about civil liberties and civil rights. Examples include (but are not limited to):
- Police misconduct.
- Improper immigration enforcement and detention.
- Jail and prison misconduct and conditions.
- Public school student discrimination.
- Improper state intervention of children.
- Public information (MPIA) production and fee waiver denials.
- Due process (the right to a fair procedure), especially related to marijuana possession or parole.
- Freedom of speech and press.
- Freedom of (or from state-imposed) religion.
- Freedom from unreasonable invasions of privacy.
- Voting rights.
We do not take these types of cases:
- Denial of government benefits, such as unemployment or welfare.
- Property, such as real property (land) or inheritance disputes.
- Complaints against lawyers.
- Tax issues.
- Landlord-tenant disputes.
- Individual divorce, child custody, or neglect matters.
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR RIGHTS WERE VIOLATED
- Call Our Civil Rights Complaint Line:
The Civil Rights Complaint Line is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1–3 p.m by phone to (443) 524-2558.
- Contact Us by Mail:
Please write a brief description (1-2 pages) with the following:
– name, mailing/email address, and phone number;
– the date, time, and location of incident;
– which constitutional rights were violated (if you know);
– list of any supporting documents you have (no copies!);
– dates of any deadlines; and
– what legal action you hope our office will take.
Our mailing address is: ACLU of Maryland, Legal Intake, 3600 Clipper Mill Road, Ste. 350, Baltimore, Maryland 21211
- Contact us by fax:
Use the same guidelines as mail, but send your letter to (410) 366-7838.
HAVEN'T HEARD BACK FROM US YET?
We aim to respond to every request. If you haven’t heard from us but you completed the process, we are still processing your request.
If you need legal advice quickly or outside our issues, please use one of the following resources. We cannot guarantee or vouch for any services outside our office.
For non-criminal legal matters:
For criminal legal matters: